Voting

Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Fork War: The Final Chapter

Last week I did an embroidery job for an old friend (remember the Fork War?). She needed a gift for a 90th birthday. I suggested a monogrammed pillowcase. Turns out, the birthday girl also loves to cook, so in addition to the pillowcase, I made an oven mitt.


During that same week, "Kevmeema"'s mother passed away after a lengthy illness. It was a really tough year for her. Even though I have never met her in person, I know that she is a really tough, strong woman; one that I admire.



A couple of days after I sent the package with the pillowcase and oven mitt, I received an email telling me that the package arrived as they were leaving the house to attend the funeral, and she didn't open it until the next day. Her email went on to compliment my "talent" and then she asked me what she owed me.



What price do you put on friendship? I felt that I owed her more than she owed me. She was always there when I needed someone to confide in. She helped me brainstorm when I started my business. She made brochures for me. She gave me ideas, incentives, encouragement to try, when I had less confidence in myself than she had in me-someone she hardly "knew". Once, she even helped me accept a new chapter in my life when The Kid was born and I became a grandmother!



I asked that she make a donation to her Mom's favorite cause...The Jersey Shore Animal Center, in Brick, NJ, where they had requested memorial donations in her mom's name. I expected negotiations to begin but I guess she realized how futile that would be. She agreed and I was happy; it was a done deal!



Two days later, a package arrived at my house. Since I was expecting a shipment of handkerchiefs from a supplier. I put the package in my sewing studio without looking at it. Several days passed before I noticed that it wasn't from the supplier, but from Kevmeema!



Somehow I just knew what was inside, even before I opened the package. I knew that she would think of something so special; that's the kind of lady she is. So, I carefully ripped the paper off and yanked the top off the box and threw it on the floor. Inside was the nicest gift I have ever received. A gift from
the best friend I never met.

The forks have come full circle and so has a wonderful Internet friendship--one that must certainly evolve soon.

But one thing, E, it is YOU who is a special lady!

3 comments:

Vintage Gal Marialena said...

Kindred Spirits and Soul Mates of Friendship come in our lives and we are never the same. They glow and brighten our life with their mere existence. You are so blessed that you both have one another to be that person. No price on pure, true friendship except being that same kind of friend in return! God Bless! So poignant and heartwarming. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Of all the "stuff" I won on ebay, over the years, the best thing I ever received was your friendship, Lynda. It is priceless to me. Who would have ever thought that a "Fork War" could bring such a wonderful prize. I was only a "foster home" for the forks until they reached their rightful destination.

Finesse said...

Two of my best I'net friends; you have such a way with words and emotions...I love you, both!